Cable Knit Sweater – vintage, Circle Scarf – ModCloth, Jeans – SOLD DESIGN LAB, Bag – Melie Bianco, Shoes – 80%20 from 80’s Purple, Belt – vintage
I don’t know what exactly was the inspiration behind this look. I guess you could say it just sort of fell together on accident. It’s nothing special, more focused on comfort than anything else. The best thing is that it keeps me warm during the slight chill we’ve been experiencing these past few days. I’ve been searching all over for the perfect cable knit wool sweater, and I think this is it. I came across it during that 5 minute thrift shopping spree I went on last month. Best $5 a girl has ever spent.
This past week has been full of multi-tasking craziness, but it’s this madness that keeps me going. Even this weekend is going to be work-centric, but luckily in my case, work is actually fun. I must run to get ready because I have a photo shoot with my sister this morning. I’m very excited for it! Have a beautiful weekend lovelies 😉
1. How tall are you? I am 5’11” (180 cm.). Yes, I am very tall . . . but I love it!
2. If you could visit any place in the world with no budget where would you go? I would have to say Paris because I always dream of it being so romantic, beautiful, full of rich history, art, and creativity. I would like to see how it compares to how I envision it in my head.
3. What is your job? I am the girls’ social media manager at Volcom Clothing. I help with the creation and coordination of the upcoming Volcommunity blog set to launch in mid-March. I will be working closely with the Volcom bloggers and girls’ design team on blog content, taking behind-the-scenes footage of video, photo shoots, and events, and everything else in-between like updating the Volcom Girls Facebook and Twitter pages. I am also a free-lance writer and fashion blogger, of course!
4. What do you prefer – vintage or designer clothes? Definitely vintage, but vintage designer would be even nicer!
5. Who are your favorite bloggers? Gosh, I have so many, but some of my absolutely everyday reads that I always have to check are: Sterling Style, Late Afternoon, My Floor is Red, The World Looks Red, Another Day to Dress Up, Fashion Zen, AfterDRK, Atlantic-Pacific, Song of Style, Sincerely Jules, Style Scrapbook, Phosphene, Fashion Chalet, The Blonde Salad, Fashion Bananas, Fashionerdic, Flashes of Style, The Cherry Blossom Girl, and The Golden Diamonds. These are just a FEW of my favorite blogs!
6. At what age did you know that you had a love for fashion? I am not sure exactly what age I truly fell in love with a little thing called fashion, but I think it must have been as soon as I could talk! I think it started with my first Barbie doll. I must have been like 3 probably. My mom bought me a huge case full of Barbie clothes and I loved to make up interesting outfits for my dolls. my aunt even crocheted a few outfits for me and those were my favorite. My mother was also an expert seamstress and she sometimes made me dresses and pants for school. Fashion has just always been a part of my life and always caught my interest. From then on, the interest just sort of bloomed into a passion, and especially so in the 9th grade when I finally discovered who Marc Jacobs was. It just took off from there!
7. What is the best place to buy vintage clothes? I don’t usually shop at exclusive vintage clothing shops because I think they are too expensive. I always find great vintage pieces at random thrift stores I come across, like The Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. The hunt may be harder and quite a bit longer, but there are sure to be some great pieces amongst the junk!
8. What did you study in school? I studied a lot of things in school. I was a Biology major at first because I wanted to do something in the medical field, but I switched majors to American Literature and Culture my junior year of university at UCLA. But I did get my A.A. degree in Biology. I also took some film classes that I really loved. I liked that I got a very broad education. I kept my options open and now I do what I love!
9. What kind of camera do you use? I first started off with an old Canon 10D, but now I switch back and forth between a Canon Rebel XS and Rebel XTi. I start my photography class next month, and once I get my skills mastered, I hope to upgrade to a Canon 7D!
10. What do you use to edit your pictures? I am really crap at Photoshop and haven’t taken the time to learn how to properly use it yet, so I go the easy route and use picnik.com. It works great! I just edit pics slightly and try to get great pics the first time around with natural lighting.
11. What do you do in your free time? I love to do a lot of things! I read, writer, play the piano/guitar, sing, dance, workout (I love to bike ride, do tae bo, and hike), go to the movies, meet up with friends, shop (of course), listen to music, Internet surf, but most of all I love to create.
12. Who is your photographer? My sister Natalie from the blog Natalie off Duty is my main photographer, unless I am out with a friend.
13. How many pairs of shoes do you have? I don’t know exactly. I try not to overindulge in shoes but stick with classic pairs that I can wear with everything. But I will count them soon and get back to you on this!
14. What is the most expensive items in your wardrobe? I have quite a lot of really great designer pieces, but I got them for super cheap prices (so those don’t count). And I buy mostly sale items at the shops, but one of my recent purchases, a black leather motorcycle jacket, has to be the most expensive item I have recently purchased. But I think it’s a really good investment. Leather jackets are essential!
15. How much time do you spend on blogging? I usually blog for a few hours at night, when I am comfy in bed with the TV on! It’s harder for me to blog as much as I did when I first started and I wish I could get back to all of your comments like I used to before. But I try to work blogging around my busy schedule because I am def. committed to it and love it so much! I try to limit my time online and like to take breaks on the weekends.
16. What is your favorite high street brand? I must say that H&M is because they are always right on trend and have a nice selection of things!
17. How has blogging changed your life? It has changed my life in a very positive way by changing my career direction in life towards fashion and social media. Never before did I ever think I could or would work in fashion, and now I do. The skills and knowledge that I have learned through blogging has definitely opened up many doors for me, both socially and personally, and I couldn’t be happier. It has also made me more confident in my personal style choices and overall life. I am happy to say that blogging has made my dreams come true and has allowed me to truly follow my passions and develop new ones.
18. Is there a difference for you between what fashion is and what style is? I like to think of fashion as all the options that you can choose from when it comes to clothing. It is what the stores sell you and it is what the magazines tell you are trendy and that you should be wearing at the moment. But style is something truly unique and transcends anything a magazine editor can tell you. Style takes fashion and molds it to suit your personal preferences and personality. Interpreting fashion in your own way is style. They both go hand in hand, but style is what makes fashion interesting.
19. What is your favorite quote concerning fashion? There is a quote I really love from Marilyn Monroe. She once said, “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” I think this quote has a really great meaning behind it, and has a lot of truth, especially coming from such a world-renowned icon who has been scrutinized and shaped by the public eye so closely throughout her career. Applying this quote to fashion and to life in general I think is a great thing because it makes us think about ourselves in a whole new light. Why strive to be perfect when it is our imperfections that make us unique and one-of-a-kind? Madness is genius because it allows us to let loose and be creative. This quote embraces the strength of individuality, and this is something I try to do every single day.
20. Have people recognized you because of your blog? Yes, they have, a few times. I think it is quite funny! I get recognized a lot with my sister when we are out shopping sometimes in the LA area, and we got stopped a few times in NYC. But everyone who has approached me so far has been very nice! Sometimes people stare and you can tell they are talking about you, and I always wonder if it is because of my blog. But sometimes I never know. Maybe it is because I wear what I like and stick out because of my tallness. Who knows? hehe
21. What do you think was the key in becoming so huge on the blogging circuit? I don’t know exactly what the key is (maybe this is a good question to ask someone far more famous in the blogging world than I am), but I think that being yourself is really important. Being creative and having good, interesting, and aesthetically pleasing content that is a reflection of the blogger’s personal style and personality is important to me, too, and are often the things that I notice in a blog I really love. There are a lot of factors in play when it comes to a popular blog that catches the interest of many, but I think that creativity and a strong reflection of passion are very important.
22. Where did you learn to play the guitar? I learned how to play the guitar during my junior year of university. I always wanted to learn, so I signed up for a beginner’s class. Now I just teach myself and watch Youtube tutorials. I only know the basics, but sometimes that is enough to just strum my favorite song and be totally at ease.
23. How do you stay in shape? Naturally, I am a very active person. I hate sitting on my ass all day. I like to be up and moving. I don’t go to the gym, but I try to jump rope twice a week. I like to take walks (nearly every day), hikes, yoga, and long bike rides (usually on the weekend). My workout regime is not on a regular schedule, but when I feel like I need to move, I’ll just set like 30 minutes or an hour aside to get up and get active! I also really love tae-bo! Or I just turn on the music in the rec room downstairs and just dance my ass off! Anything that makes me work up a good sweater makes me feel so good!
24. Are you happy? Yes, of course I am! I couldn’t be happier with where I am right now and I look forward so much to the future!
25. How would you describe yourself in 3 words? Creative, kind, and passionate
26. Which are your favorite musicians/bands? I love so many bands and musicians! Here are my absolute favorites: The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Heart, Aerosmith, Michael Jackson, Jewel, The Strokes, Pheonix, The Black Keyes, Radiohead, Muse, Florence and the Machine, Kate Nash, Adele, Ingrid Michaelson, old school No Doubt, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Bruno Mars, Guns N’ Roses, Alice in Chains, The Spinto Band, Phantom Planet, MGMT, Incubus, Interpol, The Silversun Pickups, Muse, Cold War Kids, Shakira, The Bird and the Bee, Lightspeed Champion, Audioslave, and lots lots more! But I can’t remember them all right now! I have a very eclectic taste in music. As long as it makes me feel emotion, sing along, or get up and dance, then I like it!
27. How long does it take for you to showers? 10-15 minutes. haha. I’m not sure exactly.
28. What is your favorite season? Fall! But then I also love summer. Oh, I love all seasons!
29. What are your plans for the future (design, fashion)? I hope to continue working in fashion, hopefully on an even grander scale and with a company that I really believe in and connect to on a personal level. I would someday love to style or be head of the marketing side of a fashion brand, magazine, or department store.
30. What is your favorite movie? I have so many favorites, but one of my absolute favorites that I always love to watch is The Breakfast Club. I also love Clueless, since that movie really perpetuated my love for fashion and inspired the way I dressed growing up. Cher Horowitz was my style icon!
31. Out of all the classes you’ve taken in college, which ones have been your favorite? I really loved all the American Literature classes that I took at UCLA. My teachers were all so motivated to teach and they really loved the subject they were teaching, bringing to life all the stories and characters we delved into. And I was reading all the books that I would have been reading already just for fun! My major wasn’t work for me, but almost like a continuation of my hobby. Being in this major really helped with my creative writing and has expanded my knowledge of words and what it takes to be a great storyteller. Out of all the many science classes that I took, none of them was my favorite because I actually kind of hated the subject and all its technicality. But I did enjoy Organic Chem because my crush/eye candy was in the class. hehe
32. Where do you get inspiration from? Everything and everywhere! I think I am most inspired by nature and certain color combinations that are striking to my eye.
33. How do you take such great photos? I use a CANON SLR and I have my sister take my pictures most of the time. I always take her outfit pics, too, whenever I can. My photography skills have developed tremendously in the past year and I really have come to enjoy and love it so much! It is a growing passion of mine.
34. Do you like living in Los Angeles? Do you like the people? It is a love/hate relationship with LA. I live in the suburbs in the valley about 25 minutes outside of the city. I love that I am close enough to visit the city whenever I feel like it, but I also love how quiet and even boring it is where I live. Where I live, there is a lot of green. I can walk a few blocks and feel like I am in a rustic forest. So it’s a nice change from the fast-paced city life. My favorite part of Los Angeles is Santa Monica. I lived there when I was really little, and I go there almost every week! The people in LA can sometimes be a little snotty, but there are people like that everywhere. Everyone its driving in LA and into their own thing and it’s not usual that you are going to stop in the street to talk and say hello to a complete random stranger. But there are always good and bad sides of every place. But I know a lot of amazing people here, and it will always be my home.
35. Where would you want to live if you could anywhere in the world? I wouldn’t mind living in NYC for a while. I was there last summer for 2 weeks with my sister. We stayed in an apartment and it was one of the best times of my life. I literally fell in love with the city. I love every single aspect about NYC from the walking and people watching on the subways to all the food and shopping and diversity all around you. Everything is in NYC; it’s like the center of the world.
36. How did you get into blogging? I got into it because I loved fashion and I wanted to share my passion with others and connect on a level that I never had the chance to do before in real life. I was in university and it was a way for me to be creative and express my love for fashion in-between and after class. My friends weren’t really into fashion like I was, so starting a blog allowed me to start a conversation about something that really meant something to me. Now it is such a huge part of my life. I wouldn’t know what I’d do without my fellow bloggers in this online world.
37. Who/what are your favorite photographers? Magazines? I really love Juergen Teller, Steven Meisel, Zoltan Tombor, Steven Klein, Peter Lindbergh, Helmut Newton, Scott Schuman, Patrick Demarchelier, Annie Leibovitz, and all those famous photographers. But there are so many more lesser known photographers that I love from all the fashion editorials I lust over. I also love the work of the Zanita, the young Sharon Gong, and Nirrimi from the blog We Live Young. As for magazines, I really love British Vogue and Elle (any British magazine actually), Glamour, i-D, Harper’s Bazaar, Lula, French Vogue, Teen Vogue, Grazia, and whatever is in the high fashion section at the bookstore.
38. Where are your favorite places to shop? I love to shop everywhere. I am obsessed with thrift stores. I also love Forever 21, H&M, Zara, Bloomingdales, and all those types of places. There is really no place I won’t shop! hehe. But I love thrifting the most because I don’t like to spend a lot of money on clothes. I also love browsing Crossroads Trading Co., Buffalo Exchange, and Wasteland in Los Angeles.
39. What’s a day like for you? I wake up, check my email and my blog, correspond with my boss and co-workers, eat breakfast, head out to work if I need to go to the office or out on location, drive home from work (which can take forever), eat dinner, watch TV, go for a walk. If I work from home on some day, I write, meet up for friends on lunch breaks, do some photography out and about, and work on the blog in my free time!
40. What is your favorite thing to eat, ever? Pizza!!! Also, I could eat Hainanese chicken rice any day of the week (totally weird, I know, but it is so darn good!)
41. Who are what inspires you and who is your role model? I always have to say that my role models are my parents because they work so hard and would do anything for my sister and I. I really look up to them for this and they inspire me to be hard-working and passionate. I am inspired by so many people. They can be someone I met off the street for just a second or someone I have known for a long time or even someone famous. But they have to be someone who follows there dreams relentlessly and still has the time to do good in the world, open up their hearts to others, and lend a helping hand.
42. If you had to choose one and definitive outfit, what would it be? If I had to choose one outfit completely definitive of my personal style, I would have to choose one made up of a printed maxi skirt that hits at the ankle, a lightweight sweater, and a black leather jacket. I would throw on a belt around the waist. This ensemble is now my go-to look and was just showcased on my blog! It defines my personal style so well because it is a mix of both bohemian and edginess that is completely me. It’s both girly and tough, and I love to juxtapose styles against each other. Fashion is more fun that way. This look is also super comfortable, and I am all about comfort.
43. Do you speak any other languages? I used to be pretty good at Spanish, but once I got into college, I basically stopped practicing and lost it all. I also took Italian for a quarter at UCLA (which I got an A in), but I am really rusty. I was an English major, so English is my forte, but I definitely want to brush up on my Spanish and Italian! So at the moment, the answer is no (I am so embarrassed to say).
44. Where did you go to school? I went to UCLA,, home of the Bruins!! 🙂 Best school EVER!
45. Where do you find time to post and take pictures? I try to take more pictures on the weekend so I can post them during the week, or I try to find time after work. Someday I get to work from home, which helps when I feel like taking an outfit shot, or I just take them out and my sister or a friend takes them. I try to post whenever I have the time, and I usually create my posts at night.
47. Would you like to come here in Rio de Janeiro sometime in your life? Absolutely!
48. What do you want to be in the future? I hope to continue working in social networking/media, but hopefully with a brand that really defines my style, such as Zara, Forever 21, or H&M. I hope to continue blogging, making music, and also starting my own business (be it a fashion-based website or online shop).
49. What kind of lens do you use for your camera? I use a standard 18mm-55mm lens.
Remember this dress that a wore a few posts ago? Well, it’s from one of my favorite online vintage shops, CALICO, and now you can enter to have the chance to win $50 to the CALICO online shop!
All you have to do is leave a comment below with a link to your favorite item in the store, as well as your email address.
Extra points for following me on Twitter and using the hashtag: #nanacalico
This giveaway is international, so all of you can enter! I will choose a winner on Monday! Good luck everyone!