I’ve been drinking matcha regularly for over a year now, not because it’s trendy (although I love how easily I can find it now in the city) but because the taste to me is phenomenal, and it has many extremely healthy benefits for the body. In college, I would drink a hot cup of green tea (soaked from tea bags) to calm my skin whenever I broke out. I read about it in a magazine, and I felt it really did help. And growing up with an Asian mom, I’ve tried lots of different kinds of Asian desserts, and matcha flavor (on top of taro) was always my favorite. But I never had matcha in it’s raw form until my boyfriend made me a cup of it unsweetened near the beginning of our relationship. I was addicted ever since. Matcha is basically the more raw, concentrated version of your basic green tea. You are consuming the entire tea leaf as opposed to a brew, which gives you 10 to 15 times more nutrient per cup. Now, I replace my normal morning cup of coffee with a cup of matcha, and it has been life changing. No more stomach aches. Clearer skin. Less bloat. It kick starts my appetite. And I feel like my general well being has shifted because of this daily change in my routine and diet.
Here is all the reasons why I love matcha:
1. It’s an antioxidant boost, which in turn strengthens your immune system. I’ve noticed that I have gotten sick far less since adding matcha to my mornings every day. Less colds, less coughing, less sinus infections. It even eases digestion. I feel great!
2. It acts as a cleanser because it contains high levels of Chlorophyll, which helps detox the blood and throughout the body. The more toxins that are flushed out of your body, the better of course. Matcha is a great step in the right direction when it comes to clean eating.
3. It helps keep you slim because it helps increase your body’s rate at burning calories. Mixing matcha with a healthy diet and a regular workout routine is the best way to get in shape.
4. It’s energizing because it contains a healthy form of caffeine. it’s not the same kind of caffeine found in regular coffee. Matcha’s caffeine is a slow-release of energy. Starting your morning with a cup will ease you into your day at a much healthier pace, rather than shocking your system awake. And you’re energy will last much longer throughout the day.
5. It’s so pretty! Probably one of the main reason’s it’s so popular today, especially on Instagram. It’s light green emerald color is easy on the eyes, and so complementary to Millennial Pink (like the tone of my mugs at home). For someone into aesthetics, matcha is the winner as opposed to that dark and aggressive cup of joe. I like mine with a spoonful of agave and a splash of low-fat vanilla soy creamer. Perfection in a cup.
Hope this post inspires you to jump on the matcha bandwagon. I always make my own matcha, unless I’m out early for the day and don’t have time to make my own, craving it right after the gym, or traveling. The one I get is from Whole Foods, but Asian supermarkets sell them, too, and probably for a much better price. Make sure your matcha is from Japan. That stuff is the real deal 🙂